Fitness and Wellness Center
Mechanical design and construction phase services for a new 61,500 sq ft fitness and wellness facility, which includes a natatorium, gymnasium, open workout and cardio areas, three multipurpose studios, classroom with demonstration kitchen, and administrative spaces. The project facility has received a Gold rating under the LEED New Construction v2009 green building program.Project Details
- The mechanical design and equipment specification assisted in optimizing the building’s energy performance 27% over a code minimum building.
- The building is connected to the campus’ central underground high efficiency chilled water and steam loops.
- The building automation system modulates the quantity of outside air delivered to each space to minimize outside air load while still maintaining acceptable indoor air quality and positive building pressurization.
- A dedicated pool dehumidification unit serves the natatorium to maintain the strict temperature and humidity requirements of this space. At most operating conditions, the unit is able to divert its internal heat of compression to heat the supply air without requiring energy from the base building systems.
- An energy recovery unit with enthalpy wheel pre-treats incoming outside air with outgoing general exhaust air to lower building heating and cooling utility costs.
- High efficiency plumbing fixtures and low flow aerators were utilized to reduce water consumption 35% over a code minimum building thereby saving an estimated 41,000 gallons of water annually.
- The building automation system monitors and trends energy consumption (power, steam, chilled water, natural gas, and domestic water) for all mechanical systems.